What Terri Wrote

Terri Blackstock does not blog, but recently I saw a copy of an important email she sent to several friends, and asked if she would offer something similar here. To my delight, she graciously agreed. Terri is always doing something gracious. For example, although we had never met, soon after the publication of my first novel she took time out of a busy book tour schedule to have dinner with my wife and me, along with my mother who was a big fan. I will never forget the encouragement Terri offered me as a writer that night, the amazing humility she displayed by treating me, then a one-novel author, as if I was a peer, and the powerful sense of God’s guiding hand I felt as she spoke of her recent decision to risk a well established writing career for the (then) very risky proposition of Christian fiction. Writing for houses such as HarperCollins, Harlequin, and Silhouette, thirty-two Terri Blackstock titles had been published and 3.5 million books in print when she decided to switch to Christian fiction. At that time the Christian fiction market was untested, and the quality of the novels available was mostly very poor. It was a huge risk for her career, a true leap of faith. But Terri felt a calling and obeyed. Since making that decision, she has sold 2 million novels and over thirty titles that explore faith in Jesus Christ, many of which have been number one best-sellers. Her latest book, True Light, reached number one on the Top 50 of all Christian books the first full month it was in stores, and Night Light was the winner of the 2007 Retailer’s Choice Award for General Fiction. You can learn more about Terri’s journey by reading her testimony on her website. But first, here’s what Terri wrote


* * *

I’m not a political spokesperson, and have never blogged about politics before. But it’s no secret that I’m a conservative. As we approach the next presidential election, I feel I have to speak out, since I’m concerned about conservatives allowing the media to determine who our candidates should be. How many times have we heard lately that Giuliani is going to be our nominee? I want to remind you that we are in a primary season, and we get to decide who our candidate will be. Yes, the media would love to choose our candidate. They'd love to choose someone who doesn't share our values. Then they'd have a win/win. But if we choose someone who doesn't share our values just to beat Hillary, what have we won? But if we have a Pro-Choice president in the White House--one who hasn't been able to keep his promises even to his wife--how can we be sure that he'll do what he says and appoint constructionist judges?

I'm currently teaching a Bible study course on some of the kings and prophets in the Old Testament. The northern kingdom of Israel allowed leaders to come and go and lead them into sins so serious that they were throwing their children into fire to sacrifice to the god of Molech. (To me, abortion is the same kind of offense to God.) God gave them chance after chance to repent, yet they followed their leaders into worse and worse sin. Eventually, the people paid the consequences, when their men were slaughtered and they were marched out of Samaria--losing everything they owned-- and moved to an Assyrian area. God said, "Ephraim is no longer a people." But in the southern kingdom of Judah, they were able to buy some time when Hezekiah began to reign. He led the people into righteousness and destroyed all their altars to false gods, knocked down the Asherah poles and the high places, and made the priests consecrate themselves and the temple so they could worship again.

We need to pray that God will raise up a Hezekiah for us, and we need to pray it like we believe it, not just roll over and accept the candidate the media is salivating over. I, for one, am about to donate money to the Huckabee campaign, because he is a godly man who will not lead our country into more sin. I like what he believes and what he stands for, and I like the fact that he has the judgment to at least hold the line on abortion in this country by appointing Pro-Life judges. Of all the candidates, he's the only one I've seen so far who has the moral fortitude to do that. I’m also very impressed with his performance in the debates, and think he has what it takes to win.

I'm looking at the character of the man. Has he kept other covenants in his life, for instance with his wife? Then maybe he'll keep his campaign promises. Is he Pro-Life as a political stance, or does he believe deeply in his heart that killing babies is wrong and has to be stopped? If he does, then maybe he can make an impact on that. Does he truly and honestly worship Jesus Christ, or does he just say he does because it's politically expedient right now? And if he does truly worship God, then maybe he'll look to Him for guidance for our country.

Some would say that I’m a one-issue voter. I’m not. There are several issues that are extremely important to me. The abortion issue is not one of those issues. It’s the foundation on which any candidate I consider must stand. You must understand, if a man or woman believes that it’s okay to kill babies, that tells me that their judgment is severely impaired. They are not fit to run our country.

I'm not giving up in the primary season. We can choose whatever candidate we want. There were enough of us Christians to elect George Bush in the last two elections. We can elect Huckabee or any Hezekiah God raises up between now and the primaries. We can win again if we stand up for our issues. We have an incredibly strong voice, and we've proven that it can be louder than that of the media. Some of you say we have to pick a candidate who can win against Hillary. We did pick a candidate who won against Al Gore and John Kerry. We got to choose because there were enough of us! If we had a candidate who represented our values, why couldn't we do it again, even if the media said it was impossible? They thought it was impossible last time. What have we won if we get a man with the same basic values as Hillary? So what if he's a strong leader, if he leads us further into the pit?

I love America and the Church, and I don't want to see us follow the path of some European countries in which Christianity has all but died, because they let the world have its way in their elections. America has been set apart, protected, blessed ... but if the Bible is a warning to us, and we can learn anything about God's nature by his dealings with Israel in the Old Testament, we will pay severe consequences for our country's moral decline. I refuse to roll over.

Unless something changes drastically before my state’s primary election, I’m voting for Mike Huckabee.

Terri

Posted byAthol Dickson at 3:36 PM  

12 comments:

Anonymous said... October 24, 2007 at 4:50 PM  

That darn Kay is just too smart.

I'll be copying and sending Terri's message to many.

Angela said... October 24, 2007 at 4:58 PM  

So well said, Terri, and thank you for saying it. Thank you, Athol, for giving her a blog pulpit. :-) I'll be sending folks over here, too!

Angie

Rachel Hauck said... October 24, 2007 at 5:09 PM  

Great post, Terri! Well said and yes, we need to start speaking up.

Athol, thanks for going after her to post!

Rachel

Jenny said... October 24, 2007 at 9:27 PM  

Thank you both so much for these posts about Gov. Huckabee. I agree 100 percent!

I pray those who proclaim themselves to be Christians in this nation will not be deceived into "settling" for a candidate just because he's a media darling, but will earnestly seek God's direction as to the choice they as voters must make.

(BTW - I linked here from Angela Hunt's blog - thank you Angela! *smile*)

Mirtika said... October 25, 2007 at 8:12 AM  

While I've not decided yet where to toss my allegiance in the Prez Race, I want to say that I've been praying A LOT for more than a year that God will raise men and women of moral fiber and visionary brilliance and political savvy to be leaders for us at all levels of gov't and the judiciary.

I do believe that if we pray and are in agreement over this, God will do this. He will empower and pour grace on good, strong, bright, creative, and upright folks who will be admirable and effective and MORAL leaders.

Let's keep praying, folks! And once you do decide on a candidate, write that check and keep praying.

Mir

Fedora said... October 25, 2007 at 9:52 AM  

Thank you for the excellent post--I found this through Tamera Alexander's blog.

~michelle pendergrass said... October 25, 2007 at 10:31 AM  

I honestly wasn't going to read this, the reasons are many, but I'm glad I did.

Athol Dickson said... October 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM  

Mir,

You are so right. We should all pray HARD for God to raise the right people into leadership, both in the executive and the legislative branches. As Terri mentioned, we need a Hezekiah. In fact, since we're a democracy (at least for now) we need a LOT of Hezekiahs! My wife and I have been praying earnestly for this for a couple of years, as you have.

One thing to keep in mind: while no one candidate is going to agree with us on everything, if we all vote for different candidates in the primary, then the front runner will win, even if s/he gets only a small fraction of the votes. In other words, we all need to get behind the same person, or Giuliani wins. You already know who I think that person ought to be. But whoever it is, let's pick ONE and all get behind him, or else we all lose.

Athol

Mirtika said... October 25, 2007 at 2:28 PM  

Hey, Athol.

After reading what Terri said here, I started reading up on Huckabee. Watched some of his vids on YouTube.

I like him. I just donated to his campaign. He's on my prayer list. :)

So, thanks for posting about this.

Mir

Leslie said... October 26, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

Thank you for the wonderful post! I'm doing my part in trying to get the word out about Huckabee too.

Thank you!

Holly said... October 26, 2007 at 12:22 PM  

Well said, Terri! My husband and I have sat down to dinner with Mr. Huckabee when we lived in Little Rock...a godly man and good leader, too. Thank you for taking back our right to vote for the president.
Blessings,
Holly Smith

Deena Peterson said... October 26, 2007 at 7:53 PM  

Me, too.

Post a Comment