WINTER HAVEN Sneak Peek!

Do you blog and enjoy novels? Have I got a deal for you! The publisher is ready to mail advance reader copies of my next novel, Winter Haven. I’d love to send you a copy (free, of course). All I ask is that you contact me no later than November 14, 2007 with your promise to a) read it in the near future and b) blog about it.

More on how to get your copy of Winter Haven below, but first, here’s the back cover blurb:




Answers are impossible
when questions are too terrible to ask.

Athol Dickson’s “powerfully imagined” River Rising received rousing acclaim from numerous publications including Booklist (who chose it as one of the top 10 Christian novels of 2006), Publishers Weekly, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It was a finalist for Christianity Today’s Best Novel of 2006, and received a Christy Award for Best Suspense Novel.

His next novel,
The Cure, received rave reviews from critics like Library Journal, and readers alike. Now he entertains and enthralls readers once again with a mystery that goes beyond the surface of everything we know and see . . . .

Thirteen years ago, Vera Gamble’s brother, Siggy, ran away from home in Texas never to be seen again. Now his body washes ashore on the tiny island of Winter Haven, Maine. His only surviving kin, Vera travels north to claim the body—and finds herself tangled in the impossible: Her brother hasn’t aged a day since last she saw him.

Determined to uncover what happened in those lost years, Vera soon discovers there are other secrets haunting the island. As legends of lost colonies and a witch bent on vengeance come to life amidst a forest where no creature dares to live, Vera is hemmed in by unearthly fog and distrusted by the locals. Her only help is the mysterious owner of a grand but dilapidated mansion poised on a rocky cliff. Will Vera survive her desperate search for answers, or will her quest become yet one more dark Winter Haven legend?

If you want to be one of the first people on the planet to read Winter Haven, just send me a private email by clicking on “Contact Me” on the far right of the navagation bar above. Please be sure to include all of the following in your email:

1) Your name.
2) Your blog’s address (sorry, copies not available for those who don't blog).
3) Your mailing address (P.O. boxes are fine, but street addresses are better)
4) Your promise to read Winter Haven in the near future, and blog about it.

Remember: I need to hear from you no later than November 14, 2007.

Thanks, and happy reading!

Posted byAthol Dickson at 7:09 PM  

9 comments:

Kay Day said... November 2, 2007 at 7:21 AM  

I have been hanging out at your blog because Angie Hunt has a link to it and it's a great blog, but I had never read any of your books. Because I enjoy your blog, I got The Cure and River Rising. I am reading The Cure right now and really enjoying it, (somehow that doesn't seem like the right word). I like the book, I like the writing. I like the characters. So, yeh, difficult subject matter aside, I am enjoying it.

Dayle James Arceneaux said... November 2, 2007 at 9:26 AM  

Great Cover.

Athol Dickson said... November 2, 2007 at 10:36 AM  

Kay,
Thanks for giving THE CURE a try. I'm glad you like it so far and hope you'll feel the same about RIVER RISING.

Dayle,
It really is a great cover, isn't it? I didn't have a single suggestion for improvement when they first showed it to me. That's unusual in my case, as I am very picky on covers after having suffered from truly awful ones on my first three novels. But the covers on my last three novels have been great, all thanks to Paul Higdon, who is the art director at Bethany House Publishers and obviously a very talented man.

Athol

Dayle James Arceneaux said... November 2, 2007 at 2:08 PM  

Kudos to Mr. Higdon. Cover design is an art which few can master. Those who do deserve recognition.

Dayle

Kay Day said... November 5, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

Finished The Cure the other day. It was very good. I will be recommending it!
Hope Keep is fuuny because my username is Keephope. Or keep1hope.
I am reading something else right now. Then I am looking forward to River Rising.

I love the book covers, too. As an artist you must find it partiuclarly frustrating when they don't look the way you would like. I have and artist's mind and eye and not so much hand, and I am frequently irritated by the covers on books I read. I love it when they get it right. But that is very subjective, I guess.

Anonymous said... November 5, 2007 at 1:30 PM  

I'm so glad you think THE CURE is good, Kay. Or should I call you Hope? Or Keep? ;)

Athol

Robin said... November 16, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

I found Kay's blog a while back and have enjoyed many of the books she has recommended and have added new authors to my list. I just read in her blog about one of your books (River Rising) and put it on hold at my public library. I see that I'm too late for your November 14th deadline on Winter Haven, but if my library acquires the book, I will read it and blog about it anyhow. I have several blogs for different purposes and my reading blog address is: http://robinsreadingroom.blogspot.com/

I'm looking forward to reading your work.

Doni Brinkman said... January 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM  

As promised, I put my "review" of Winter Haven on my blog today. Thank you so much for the advanced reader copy Athol! Wonderful work!

The review can be found here:
http://x.jimanddoni.com/?p=601

Anonymous said... January 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Thanks, Doni. Your review is wonderful!

Post a Comment