Goddess Versus God

See, this is why we need Jesus.
I finished work yesterday and grabbed my keys to go run a few errands and when I stepped outside, I saw this. That's my driveway in the photograph. The only way in or out. And that is not my car. I don't know the owner of that car. After a few visits with the neighbors, it seems nobody around here knows the owner of that car. Someone just thought it would be okay to park there while they went down the hill to have a good time in town. (In the lovely little village where I live, the streets are solidly lined with parked cars every evening as people come to visit.)

Anyway, I had no choice. I called the cops. They came. They towed.

And then . . .

Last night about nine, the woman showed up. She had a conversation with The Lovely Sue.

"Hey! Did you tow my car?!?!?!"

"Yeah. Sorry about that. We had to get out."

"@^%*&! It's street parking here!"

"Not in front of my driveway."

"You B^%*&! I can't believe you towed my car! F%@# you!"

Clearly, from the things she said and how she said them, this woman knew exactly where she had parked, and why her car was towed.

So, this morning, I'm thinking about what it must be like to think life owes you a parking place, even if it means leaving total strangers stranded in their own house. What it must be like to do that to a person, then cuss them out because they don't sit still for it. I tried to get my head into a place where I could understand a person like that, and suddenly it hit me.

That car belongs to a Goddess. She is the center of the Universe.

Everything revolves around her, and we--you and I--are mere creatures to accommodate her every beck and call. I'm sure humility forbids her to admit this, even to herself, and yet of course her superpowers cannot be denied. She parks, therefore she is.

Poor thing. What will happen when she finally understands there really is a God, and He is not her, and He has certain expectations of her which will be met, one way or another? Will she bow, or will she break?

Please join me in praying for this young woman today. I don't know her, but I do know this:

She needs Jesus very much.

Posted byAthol Dickson at 8:59 AM  

4 comments:

Kay Day said... August 10, 2007 at 9:50 AM  

Prayers said.
And these days that attitude is more the rule than the exception, it seems.
BTW, I came to your blog from Angie Hunt's.

Athol Dickson said... August 10, 2007 at 11:17 AM  

Welcome, Kay. I'm glad you're here, and glad you know dear Angie. She's amazing.

Athol Dickson said... August 10, 2007 at 11:28 AM  

Oh, and lest anyone think I'm holier than thou, I should say we're ALL like this--deluded little gods in our own minds--until Jesus shows us how life really is. Even then, sometimes Christians forget. At least I do.

Dayle James Arceneaux said... August 10, 2007 at 12:08 PM  

Give yourself some credit, Mr. Dickson. You wouldn't have parked there and if you did in a careless moment, you would have apologized for doing so.

I applaud your and The Lovely Sue's restraint. My reaction usually goes from anger to plotting justified reaction.

Almost everyday I see someone parked in front of the door, in the fire lane of my local Dollar General. These goddesses are too good to park in the allotted spaces and walk 50 feet. That's bad enough. But then I'm forced to walk around their car.

-dayle

Post a Comment